The first North Hykeham Parish Council meeting was held in 1894. With the growth of the town, North Hykeham successfully achieved Town Council status in 1973. In 2006 North Hykeham Town Council was immensely proud to be awarded Quality Council status and received re-accreditation in 2010.
The Town Council committee meetings are usually held at monthly intervals. There are 18 Councillor positions at present and the town is divided into 6 wards: Moor Ward (6 Councillors) Memorial (3 Councillors) Witham (3 Councillors) Grange Ward (2Councillors) Meadow Ward (2 Councillors) and Forum (2 Councillors). In May of each year, a Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected. The Council is served by the Town Clerk Mandy Parker, Deputy Clerk Jess Humphrey and an Assistant Clerk Lesa Appleyard.
There are 4 committees of the council: Community, Estates & Operations, Finance & Policy and Hykeham Planning (please note the Town Council is not responsible for the approval or rejection of planning applications, it is merely a consultation committee) There are also additional sub-committees and working parties which report and make recommendations to the Full Town Council for approval.
North Hykeham Town Council is responsible for the care and maintenance of all our open spaces:
Village Green, Witham Fields, St Aidens, Glebe Park, Cheviot Close, Dorchester Way, Poppyfields, Memorial Field Play Park, Chapel Fields, Grange & Mill Parks, Mill Lane Cemetery, allotments at Mill Lane, Sharp Walk and Chapel Lane and football pitches at Witham Fields.
The council also owns and manages the Hykeham Community Hub on Valerian Place, which is also the home of the North Hykeham Library.
We have a Services Team comprising of a Services Team Manager, a Services Team Deputy Manager, 2 Team Leaders and 4 Services Staff Operatives.